Friday, July 23, 2010

Near Drownings:(

Ok so if you follow me on Twitter (I don't do too much on there but sometimes) and Facebook you may have already seen this article/post but I think its important to continuously remind people that as parents they have a responsibility to teach their children things to get them through life. I'm not a parent, we all know that but some of my friends have dubbed me the "most prepared non-parent out there!"

This is an extremely sad story and due to the amount of time these little boys were without oxygen it is highly unlikely that they will survive (one is currently on life support and the other is in a medically induced coma) http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-osceola-near-drownings-20100722,0,1794830.story and click here for video http://www.wesh.com/news/24354610/detail.html

Needless to say this makes me very upset as I do not understand how parents cannot want the best for their children and therefore make the initial investment of installing a pool fence and alarm. Also it is possible for a child to take swim lessons, most often considered survival lessons starting at 6 months old (www.infantaquatics.com and www.infantswim.com). Yes for some it might be more than they can afford but these families are now spending much more than that for medical bills:(

If you are in the Central Florida area many places offer swim lessons year round a couple of resources that have this information are http://www.swimsafeosceola.com/ and http://www.ocfl.net/ (childhood drowning prevention tab). If you are not in this area please look into your local YMCA, community pool, or online for instructors in your area.

Ok I think I'm done being on my soap box with the exception of the Dept of Health deciding last year that they could no longer fund my Drowning Prevention Program that provided information yr round to the residents and visitors of Osceola County...have already have 10 drowning incidents in Orange County (Orlando), 2 in Osceola, and 2 in Seminole but no one thinks its an important enough reason to have someone doing it full time. This is why I HAVE to go somewhere else and instruct the little ones full time (more on that another day)

Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. super sad.
    I can only guess what Ian's 1st b-day present from you will be. The Y is very close to us:)

    ReplyDelete